Friday 15 April 2011

DIY: Crochet Headband

It's been a while since I posted a DIY but I loved making this little headband and thought I'd share it with you all.



You will need:
Yarn or wool (I used some wool donated by my Nan)
A crochet hook (I used a 5mm)
Tape measure
Wool needle

To make the headband:

First you will need to measure you head where the headband will sit - over the top of your head and back behind your ears. My headband reaches just passed the bottom of my ears.

We will be using double stitch crochet to make our headband. There is a fab tutorial over on HeartHandmadeUK if you have never crocheted before.

First chain 9, then double crochet into the 4th chain from the hook (not counting the loop on the hook as a chain).

Double crochet into the remaining chains and turn your work.

Chain 3 and double crochet into the second double crochet of the previous row. Continue double crocheting along your work. Turn your work

Repeat the last step until your headband is the required length.

To create your ties:

You will need 2 ties.

Chain 6,double crochet into the 4th chain from the hook. Double crochet into the remaining 2 chains. Turn your work.

Chain 3, double crochet into the second stitch and double crochet into the final stitch. Turn your work.

Repeat the last step until your work is the required length. Crochet your second tie.

To complete your headband:

Using your wool needle and the same wool or yarn as your headband, attach the ties to the end of your headband. You can turn in and stitch the bottom corners to create a V shape and either end of your headband to attach your ties to if you wish.

There are many ways of making headbands but for me this is one of the easiest I have come across. I was able to crochet my headband in just a couple of hours and I'm still quite the beginner.

Lisa x

No comments: