This is one of my favourite meals and I thought I'd share it with you. We made this at the weekend with our home-grown shallots.
Ingredients (for 2 people):
400g Stewing beef
Salt & Pepper
2 Cloves of garlic
Small bottle of red wine
2 tbsp Red wine vinegar
1 tsp Mixed spice
Tin of Chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp Tomato puree
200ml Beef stock
To make the Stifado:
1. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Lightly dust the stewing beef pieces in the flour mixture.
2. Fry the beef until sealed and place to one side. Pre-heat your oven to 160 deg C.
3. Add more oil to the pan and try the shallots gently until slightly browned and add the garlic.
4. Pour in the red wine. Add the cinnamon stick & mixed spice and heat until hot but not boiling.
5. Add the beef stock, tomato puree and tinned tomatoes and heat until it begins to boil.
6. Add the contents of the pan and your beef to a casserole dish.
5. Cover and cook for around 3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so. The beef should be really tender and the sauce should be nice and thick.
6. Serve with rice and bread.