Friday 14 January 2011

Week 2: Special Asian Rice

I found this recipe in the February 2011 Ideal Home magazine. It is actually called Best-Ever Special Asian Rice and I have to agree that not only is it easy to make, but it tastes delicious too!

It can be found on page 144.

It states that it takes around 25 minutes to cook. It actually took me around 45 minutes with prep time but still pretty quick for a weekday dinner. And the cost of ingredients wasn't too bad either.

1. Cook the rice to it's instructions. Drain and set to one side covered in a clean tea
towel.
2. Mix the chilli sauce, sesame oil and soy sauce and set aside. Heat a wok till smoking, cook the chicken in vegetable oil for 2-3 minutes until golden. Remove and set aside.
3. Add the green beans, peppers and a little water and stir-fry for 2 mins. Add the garlic, ginger and prawns and stir-fry for 2 mins.
4. Add the cooked rice, push to one side of the wok and add the eggs. Allow to scramble before mixing into the rice.
5. Add the chicken, spring onions and sauces back to the pan and stir until hot and cooked through. Serve with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.



I followed the instructions with some minor changes. I used cooked prawns so I added them at the end with the chicken and spring onions. The only problem I had was that my rice had too much water as it was regular basmati rice. It was still yummy but I would definetly get easy-cook rice next time.

I would definetly recommend buying this issue of Ideal Home and trying this recipe. The other recipes look delicious too - Mushroom Risotto, Spicy Rice Patties and Hot-Smoked Salmon, Pea & Coriander Kedgeree.

Lisa x

1 comment:

Fab said...

Fluffy rice every time ! Here's how I do it ! :)

Boil the rice for 10 minutes (use a timer) make sure it's a big pan with at least 3 litres of water, it has to be a rolling boil, btw. As soon as the 10 minutes are up drain in a fine mesh sieve, be patient letting it drain until there's no water just a few drops. Put the rice back in the saucepan you cooked it in, then cover it with a teatowel leaving it for 5 minutes. Then either serve it using a fork to fluff it up or put in a wok to stir-fry ! X Fab